Do you want to change your life?
In the last two years I have changed my life a great deal, selling my business, moving 1000 kilometers, buying a house, starting a new job and another company. It’s been a lot of change and I had great motives which included wanting to live near my family.
With all that change in the last 2 years you might wonder what I could have done in the last 30 days that would result in a more significant change in my life?
A Change in Mindset
“You can change your clothes, your job, your home and your spouse but unless you change your mind nothing will truly change.”
This quote which I heard on a motivational compilation track so I don’t know who to give credit to made me realize how although I had made a lot of external changes I needed to address some internal issues.
How do you do that?
Let me introduce you to a simple system that I call “30 Days of Ideas”. Let’s go through the simple steps of this system:
- Think about the specific challenge you would like to address. Write it down somewhere private in the form of a question. An example could be “how do I draw closer to my spouse and kids?” or “what can I do to improve my attitude at work?”
- Download a memo or journal app to your phone. I use Keep My Notes and Journey.
- Each day make an entry in the app. The title on day one if you started on January 1, 2017 would be 30 Days of Ideas – 01/01/2017 – Day 1. Why this format? It took me 32 days to get 30 Days of Ideas. I missed a couple days but I kept going until I reached my goal.
- Each day brainstorm as many answers to your question as possible. Some days I wrote down 10 or more ideas, other days only 1 idea came to mind. In the end I came up with 90 ideas.
- Review all of your ideas. Select the very best ideas and put them into action immediately.
Things to expect when using the 30 Days of Ideas System:
- The first few days are easy
- As it gets harder to come up with unique ideas you will want to quit – DON’T!
- You will start with one set of ideas that will follow a theme but then you will run out of ideas and you will be forced to start exploring different themes.
- You will get writers block, find external sources of inspiration. When this happened to me I listened to motivational tracks on YouTube, Podcasts and Audio Books.
- Some ideas are so great you will want to act on them immediately – DON’T.
- By the end of 30 days you probably will be looking at several very different possible solutions and that is why it is so important to stick with the process and to not take any action until the end.
The real magic of using this system comes from pushing yourself to be creative, to think about your challenges in different ways and sticking with something for 30 days is actually more difficult and more important than one might think.
In my case I was absolutely set on taking one path and by the end of my 30 Days of Ideas not only did I completely change direction but I found myself traveling a path I never would have imagined or dreamed of taking because I didn’t even realize this new direction existed 30 days ago.
Try it out and let us know how it works for you! You can reach us by going to the Contact page and filling out our form or by commenting about your experience.